Doing Business

Getting Started

if you cannot find the answer below, please use the contact form or
send us an email to


A business overview should be submitted containing information regarding the nature of potential business, address, hours of operation, and other pertinent information as needed.
Zoning is confirmed by the Building and Zoning Office.

If this type business is listed as a Special Exception, Board of Adjustments approval will be required and a meeting will be set up for a $50.00 application fee.

The Building Inspector will perform a walk through inspection to access work to be done to bring building up to proper code and for this type use. A letter of permission is required from the property owner for inspections to occur.

Fire Marshal or Fire Chief will perform a Fire Safety inspection to bring everything up to proper code depending on the use of this building.

For certain businesses, a security plan will be required to outline security details of the business.

If the building is an existing structure, and power has been disconnected, you will need to contact the City for instructions regarding restoring power.

Building Inspector and Fire Marshal reports will be given to the owner/tenant, Building Department and Fire Department.

If a new building is constructed, two set of architectural drawings, plans, and other documentation that will help our inspector in the review process must be submitted.

If the building plans are approved, building permits and license will be purchased. All work requires a licensed contractor with signed contract. Building plans will be kept in the Building Department. Sets will also be given to the Building Inspector and Fire Department.

Each phase of the renovation must be inspected to ensure that all work conforms to the 2009 International Building Codes.  The contractor  performing the work must request the inspection at least 24-48 hours prior to desired appointment and be present.  All work will be inspected by the Building Department and Fire Department.

After the final work approval from the Building and Fire Departments, Certificate of Occupancy will be issued by the Building Department showing work has been completed and meets the building and safety standards of our City.

Drawings for signage placed on or at business must be submitted to Building Department and approved by Building Inspector.

A business license will be issued to operate as a new business. In order to receive a business license these requirements must be met:
  • Proof of ownership or a valid lease must be submitted to the Building Department
  • If the property is leased, please provide a copy of signed lease
  • If this property is leased, owner needs to submit a letter to the building Department giving permission for tenant to operate this type of business

Please contact the City regarding solid waste services


4701 Gary Avenue
Fairfield, AL 35064

Mon – Fri: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

City News & Updates

The latest news, articles, and resources sent straight to your inbox every month.

City of Fairfield, Alabama © 2022. All Rights Reserved